The following is his response and perhaps one of the best, most courteous FO's I have ever received.
Dear Mr. Bientz:
Thank you for expressing your views on the Assault Weapons Ban.
In 1994, Congress enacted a ten year ban on semi-automatic assault weapons. The bill had three main components. The first section was comprised of a list of guns that were banned by name, such as Uzi’s. The second section outlawed the future manufacture and sale of any new semiautomatic weapon with a detachable magazine and more than two of several assault-style features. The third section was an appendix which listed hunting rifles and shotguns that didn’t run afoul of the second section, and thus were exempted from the bill.
In 2011, law enforcement leaders such as Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Back, Oklahoma Police Chief Bill Citty, and Brockton, Massachusetts, Police Captain Emanuel Gomes, all separately discussed how their officers were being outgunned with assault weapons possessed by criminals.
When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country last year, culminating in Newtown, Connecticut, demand that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society.
This is a complex issue and we must work together to uphold our Constitution while at the same time ensuring that our communities are safe. We can and must act to make such tragedies less likely in the future. Should any legislation concerning a reintroduction of the Assault Weapons Ban come before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind.
Thank you for being in touch with me.
United States Senator
This is the flawed thinking of the people running our country. Since everything else is going to hell in a hand-basket, they direct our attention to other things. When will it ever end?
1. Semi-Automatic rifles are NOT Assault Rifles. Assault Rifles are fully Automatic. Calling them that does not make it so.
2. Banning guns because of their name and features is ridiculous. There are Semi-Auto Uzi's as well as the popular AR platforms. These guns have the same operating system as the Ruger 10/22, using 22 long rifle ammunition, one of the most prolific starter firearms of children in history. If you add a tactical stock ("read Features") to a 10/22 does that make it an assault weapon? How about the fact that it has a detachable 10 round mag?
3. Police departments HAVE the equipment to "outgun" criminals if they were permitted to use them. You may want to ask the Sheriffs in the mentioned departments how many officers were confronted with automatic weapons.
4. They continue to sell the horror of Newtown, CT as a reason to ban these weapons however if the owner of the weapon had had it secured, knowing her son had mental issues, it never would have happened either. Senator Sherrod Brown and friends need to FIX NICS, (National Instant Criminal Background Check) allowing them to include mental health records as searchable for the background checks to keep weapons from the hands of these people.
5. They talk about a national discussion on firearms. It won't happen until they appropriate funds to accomplish three things:
a. Recognize guns aren't the problem, unlawful & sick people are the problem.
b. Make it mandatory for health providers to report impairment to NICS.
c. Build and Staff Prisons and Hospitals to keep these people from society.
Most crimes are perpetrated by the same people, over and over again. Stick to Mandatory Sentencing, Life Sentences for repeat offenders and all killers. USE the Death Penalty in proven cases.
Imagine how much safer we would be and how much lower our insurance premiums would be and how much criminals might re-think their lifestyle if there were sure, swift and long lasting penalties for their actions.
Cosmetics don't make a gun and cosmetics don't make a senator. Step up and do the right thing. Time for talk is OVER!
I'm just sayin.......